Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tooting Your Own Horn Series—P1

As some of you might have read in my previous entry, I thought it a good idea to take a page from award winning industry leaders like Jeff Fisher of bLog-o-motives and start promoting myself here. After all, we're essentially in the business of effectively promoting others, so why do visual designers find it such an obstacle to do the same for themselves?

Designers or Businesspeople?

Designers seem to have a hard time remembering...or accepting...that they are running a design business. They conduct themselves as people who happen to be talented designers, but not as professionals who are selling design as part of their range of services.

If one doesn't see themselves as a business first and a designer second, then they won't think to shed their "student" mentality of only working on a good portfolio and start to promote their business as other entrepreneurs do. For instance, utilizing targetted marketing campaigns throughout the year and attending networking events as marketing tools largely end up being passed over. Their business likely won't grow as much as it could because they didn't think to tap into all of that promotional potential.

While a smart looking portfolio and website presence is important, it shouldn't be the "end all" of self-promotion. Truth of the matter is, for those who had a formal college education, the latter is the only thing that is often emphasized in their curriculum, and so it's the option the end up focusing on without considering alternatives.

Employees Need Promotion, Too

Just because one isn't an independent contractor or running their own firm doesn't mean that one shouldn't promote their creative accomplishments. While I'm on it, note that I didn't say, "freelancer." I don't particularly like to use that reference, because these days, potential clients seem to think that it's some sort of code for "you-can't-land-a-real-job" or that "free" means just that...work for virtually nothing.

A designer should always think about promotions because you never know where your next business opportunity will come from. You never know who's going to flip through a design annual of inhouse communications work and run across an ad campaign you did for your employer. Or perhaps see your latest illustration submission in Illustration Friday and present you an even better position at an esteemed firm. At best, it's another means to just get some positive exposure and generate interest in your work, possibly build up a referral base for the possibility that you do branch out on your own, use as leverage when vying for a promotion or a better position elsewhere, or for those who's submissions are accepted into celebrated industry design annuals or industry accolades like The Summit Awards, the chance to add "award winning designer" to your name.

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly of Word of Mouth Referrals


I originally generated a good deal of business through what's called word of mouth referrals. Basically, one good design gig lead to another because the original client referred me to friends, and they referred me to other interested parties. It was a sweet deal really. I didn't have to go through the "portfolio interview" or work very hard to convince them the pros of hiring an experienced designer who can effectively develop creative solutions to communicate their promotional goals. The person who referred them to me did most of the sales for me and the deal was already pretty much in the bag before I even met them.

Life was indeed good, but "life" being what it is, it didn't last.

For one thing, 9/11 happened. Being a New Yorker and having most of my client base affected by the events of that day blindsided my business. Businesses either suffered, folded or moved away. Of those who remained, they struggled to recupperate losses, which essentially meant that they couldn't afford my services as they tightened their belts. My referral base was a pretty mess, indeed.

I had to rebuild. However I wouldn't have had to do that if I had worked to promote myself during the good times—if I had been submitting my work to annuals and erected a professional web site even if I felt it wasn't necessary at the time. If I had been sending out periodic self promotional collateral to build my business, I might've been minimally affected. I wasn't prepared because I didn't see the hard times coming. Who ever does, really.

And I feel that in part, promotions are not just a means to generate more potential clients, but also use as leverage to build a strong marketing base that can keep your business afloat long enough to weather the storm of the lean times.

Next: Part Two

1 comment:

Juggling Jason said...

Wow! I sure will be following this series. Here's wishing you success on your renewed promotional vigor!