Thursday, February 8, 2007

My Mad Mad Marketing Plan—Phase Two: Scheduling

It's been said that timing is everything. So in my endeavor to organize a time-sensitive campaign that I have to develop, design, output, assemble and mail, it must also be scheduled in such a way that I can temporarily set aside (like last week's post which is now this week's) so that I can address any sudden, shall we say, pressing concerns.

Like any good General, I strategized a plan to divide and conquer. First, still being the web derelict that I am, I mapped the project details on paper (although a PDA or other similarly useful digital media is a fine substitute) to have a clearer understanding of what sort of beast I was up against. I then segmented it into four main phases so that I don't become overwhelmed or side tracked, which also permitted me to establish appropriate deadlines within my limit:

1. Research
2. Execution
3. Printing
4. Delivery

Research.
Essentially brainstorming, budgeting and fundamental concept development. I had to come up with an idea that kept my "eyes on the prize." Best way to do that I surmised was to create a few brief basic criteria.

• It must be "general" enough so that I can use it as a promotional item for potentially any future client.

• It must be something they would want to use or pass on to someone who could use it (never know where your next client will come from).

• It had to be small enough to be portable, or be able to "set aside" on a work desk for example. Anything that was too large that the person had to take it off the table top to make room is a promotional bust to me (there are exceptions, but I digress). If they set it aside on their desk however, it's still within their line of sight and can always be picked up again or be spotted from anyone else who spies it on their desk (again, never know where your next client will come from). Concurrently, I didn't want it to be so small that it gets lost from someone's view.

• Most importantly, the subject matter had to reinforce and associate itself with the brand, in this case, Archetype Design Studio.

It's important to specify your campaign's goals and to outline a realistic timeline to develop an effective promotional concept. For example, I had a bunch of ideas from the onset that may have met some of my criteria, but really didn't meet my most important one, the promotion of my business. They just were good reference tools that I planned to lay out nicely. However how to tie it to my brand? That needed some thought—I felt something sufficiently clever yet simple was in order. I had to set limits because, overanalytical as I am, I've often mired myself in the research phase, literally planning ideas to the ground and beyond before they even had a chance to take off.

I decided, all things considered, that a month and a half of development was ample enough time to finalize the "bones" of this little project. Any less wouldn't have been enough and could've caused setbacks down the road if I wasn't satisfied with it's direction, any more would've been overkill, endangering the fulfillment of my predetermined mid year deadline.


Execution.
It pretty much says it all, I think. This not only includes the computer design, it also includes all of the pre-drafting, scanning and assorted materials gathering as well. Not to be understated, it allows plenty of time for revisions and in the most drastic of cases, the potential to develop another creative direction altogether (also known as "back to the ol' drawing board" syndrome, but if you research well enough, this extreme back pedal is usually not as severe or even necessary). For this project, considering it's scope and that it has to constantly take a back seat to other paying projects, I've given myself three months.

Printing.
The underestimated phase. My rule of thumb is to double their projected turn around time. Quite simply it's to account for output issues that might cause a delay. It happens more often than not, so always allocate extra time if you want to meet any deadline.

Delivery.
Another phase that requires the "printing" rule of thumb, solely because it's the one phase that is totally out of your control—your campaign if it is time sensitive like this one, will be left in the hands of another who may not prioritize it's timely arrival as you would. So it pays to do a couple of things here. Double (or even triple) the estimated delivery time (even if it's next day air) and get a delivery confirmation receipt of some kind (registered, etc) so that you can track your package.

This is also a good time to briefly address packaging. After all, it's part and parcel of your presentation as well, no pun intended. Imagine the difference between a plain shipping box or envelope over something more inviting like this (click on the little arrows). As a designer it'll further reinforce your creative talent in developing appropriate, attractive promotional solutions. And as the saying goes, Style is in the Details.

There is one last consideration, and that's "Murphy's Law," Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. After all your careful plotting from your promotion's completion date on back to ensure success, things can still go so far South that it falls off the proverbial radar, "...best laid plans" and all. Hopefully by structuring a more organized attack plan from the very beginning, it will keep most of your ducks lined neatly in a row instead of splayed all over the street.

Next time: First Dates.

No comments: