Tuesday, December 5, 2006

To Blog, or Not to Blog...

From a recent post I made at the HOWdesign forum

To One and All:

For a loooong, long time I held the same reservations as you likely do regarding the benefits of starting a blog, that's why I took as long as I did to finally commit to one. Would I be able to keep it going without getting bored with it, can I dedicate my time to consistently post little nuggets of general interest, will it benefit my business or personal endeavors and most important...will I even know how to set one up at all.

Although it's been only a day, Blogspot.com has been great so far (although it doesn't have many templates to choose from, boo). The overall design and interface makes it fun to poke around, but I digress. I originally was only looking to research the subject not sign up. The power of marketing I tell you. I'm rather impressed that it baited me this quickly. After a few minutes of browsing I was convinced to give it a try. I figured if I couldn't upkeep it I'd just delete it or start over later, and in fact that's what I did the very first time out.

My forum moniker is Seapony, derived from my previous design biz incarnation of Seahorse Productions. I originally decided to test this new venture with the name "See Blogger" as a recognizable play on that name. After I started writing my first post however (that eventually ended up here) I realized that I was missing out on the opportunity to plug my business. For shame, Pony. So I deleted that account right away and started Arche-BLogGER.

There's a reason why I wrote it that way, too. I noticed it emphasized the word "Log" rather than "Blog." Frankly, I never really liked that term so it was a nice psychological compromise.

Anyhoo guys, try it out. At worst it'll just languish into obscurity if you don't maintain it, but at best it can market your endeavors in ways you can't even imagine. And signing up really is easy. Five minutes of easy. I don't have the hang of the settings and goodies yet but that will come with time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I arrived here through the HOW Forum and welcome to the world of blogging!

I'd highly recommend WordPress as your blogging tool, even when just starting out. Take a little look at the blog I've had up for a while now and if you have any questions feel free. You've helped me out on more than one occassion:

Creative Design ::

Dagmar Jeffrey said...

Thanks David! I'm still such a blog virgin, can you tell?

Several folks recommended WordPress and yep, I've got questions, like what is the most stricking advantage over blogger?

Oh and uh...what's a blogroll? Haha, toldja I was still a blog virgin.

Nice blog/i.d. btw.

DesignFacet said...

Great Topic and Thank you for encouraging me to do a blog.

Gon said...

Sea, welcome to the world of blogging. I can't remember if I left a comment on your first post or not.