Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Chunk of My Youth Died Today

Okay so obviously I'm late in the game. Obviously I shouldn't have remained glued to the radio all day, or the T.V., or tried to break the news as it happened to P. Diddy who was on a shoot today from my minivan. I obviously shouldn't feel bad that Farrah suddenly became a fast and hard footnote at about 12:30pm Pacific today. But damn it all, I do. I grew up watching J5 in it's various incarnations (loved their animated show as a kid) or playing with my Jill doll's hair and dressing her in hip 70's outfits. I coveted my sister's We Are the World record, and marveled at the strength of a battered woman pushed too far in the Burning Bed, still using it as a joke warning to men who recognize the reference to this day.

I admit, I am no stranger to partaking in some rousing ribbing when it comes to the darker side of their legacies. Truth told, when all is said and done, I don't really care about the scandals and sensationalism, both of which shared a-plenty. For me and for now, the good deeds outweigh the bad by a loooong country mile. I imagine I'm not alone. A big part of my childhood and adolescence died today in these two. Two who died way too young and for one in particular, so suddenly. Still I pray they both found a peace that they perhaps were not destined to enjoy in life by their very stature. And I pray that there really is an afterlife, so that they can reunite with their loved ones once again.

Rest in peace Angel...King of Pop. May your loved ones find some measure of solace amid the frenzied love of fans instead of the slings of naysayers in the coming days and weeks.