Monday, October 22, 2007

Creative Hustle and Flow

I can appreciate creativity in everything. It's everywhere, especially here in the Big Apple. I can sit and admire a well conceived campaign in a subway car, or take in the myriad of outdoor sculptures that adorn many a Manhattan building entrance, appreciate excellent architectural styles from Harlem to the Bowery and beyond, check out galleries, cuisine and museums, sidewalk exhibits, the list goes on. It's just wonderful to just sit somewhere and absorb all the buzzing culture and rhythm that permeates this place. I feel as though I live and breathe it from dusk til' dawn.


But mostly, I like to doodle and lose myself with great books on design or art or anything that stimulates ye olde senses. When I take a bike ride, walk or drive I can't help but pick a scenic route...nature's beauty is the best and I'm always motivated when I'm somewhere with nice atmosphere. When I'm lounging at home I lose myself in Home and Garden channels. Can't get enough of good interior design. I often enjoy cooking a good meal or take photographs (although developing them is another matter). I don't take up an instrument like I used to, but I certainly appreciate a good beat. And I'll give whatever craft that catches my fancy a shot at least once. Lately for example I've been "gettin' knitty wit it." Made a pretty neat bag after a slew of scarves.

I also collect things. I have a massive comic book collection, for example. And I like to write. That's pretty obvious for those who know how often I support my forum habit as well as blog.

A stimulating workspace is also key. I've got a few posters and nice or meaningful chatchkas that adorn my desk (among the clutter, which is why I'm not posting an image of it...oh, the "humanity"). For example, Crayola™ recently re-released a series of "vintage" 64 color crayola boxes. I kept one on top of my DVD drive, behind the little ceramic Met™ bag which has one of my Google Guys™ dangling from the strap (remind me to post a "how-to" on that one day).

So that's just a few ways on how I draw upon the creativity around me to stimulate my own without the need for a tropical getaway or participating in a cultural event. I see it just by taking a minute to stop and take in my immediate surroundings.

4 comments:

Juggling Jason said...

I am sooo jealous of your comics collection! Sounds like you have an interesting home.

Dagmar Jeffrey said...

There was a time I entertained my fantasy of becoming a comic book penciler. Then I heard they were treated about as "well" as designers, lol. Ah well, the struggle for respect continues.

We just have to make sure to tread softly around the comic towers around here, if you know what I mean. I admit I haven't bought any since the whole Identity Crisis (DC) and Civil War (Marvel) series.

Juggling Jason said...

oooh, I entertained my fantasy of writing comics. I got a script or 2 tucked away somewhere.

Lindsey said...

Your description of taking in the scenes of NYC to refuel your creative thinking feeds my already existing strong desire to visit there. I bet there is alot of great things to take in. Ahhh maybe someday Ill find time to visit.